Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 1: Granola, Vibrams, and the Rocky Mountains

Dietary Journal for the Day:

Breakfast = Non-existent due to a mad rush out the door for Sophia's 4-month wellness exam....she passed with flying colors, my little lump of perfect love!

Brunch = A bowl of wonderfully delicious Bear Naked granola (perhaps the best granola on the market - all natural and surprising low in calories. My favorite flavor is the flax-enhanced one with dried blueberries...YUM!) with some almond milk. Yes, almond milk; not to replace the protein value achieved in regular cow's milk, but to avoid excessive dairy intake - and again, low in calories!

Snacks = Fresh plum, and half an avocado with a small scoop of organic red pepper dressing!

Late Lunch = Cheddar cheese on organic whole wheat bread and a banana

And finally, Dinner: Homemade caprese salad, again with whole wheat bread and a slice of watermelon for dessert!

Da-da-da-dummm!!!! An entire day without sweets, meat, or junk - only the rest of the days of my life to go....

Running Log:

As expected, my first Vibram run was terribly weak in comparison to the 5-mile mountain runs I used to do in running shoes before I got pregnant. Now granted, running with Vibrams, while in the long-term will benefit the body, in the short-term, causes the body to re-train itself to place one foot in front of the other in a swift motion. Ahem, I am also going to take the easy way out and blame part of my struggle on the last 15 pounds of pregnancy weight I currently carry in my midsection.

All excuses aside however, a run is a run, even if it is a sorry 1.5-2 mile, gasping-for-breath, crawl through the neighborhood. At least the first one is out of the way. If I can convince my terribly sore, Vibram-conditioned muscles to crawl out of bed tomorrow, I will hopefully accomplish another jaunt - hopefully one of greater achievement, but I know, I know - "take it slow, one step at a time." Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment